Friday, November 26, 2010

Sticking up for "The Other Guys"

Today I thought I'd talk about a more serious matter.  It concerns a certain film that didn’t get a decent acknowledgment, for what I consider to be rather indecent reasoning.  That film is “The Other Guys”, but you probably guessed that from the title.  I know I’m a little late to save it, but I feel I can offer some support.  The first reason seemed to be the one that plagues many buddy cop movies; the blending of genre.  This is often the fault of the marketing team.  They decide people don’t want variety in a film, and then set about selling it within a single pigeonhole.  So when it gets sold as an action movie, people complain about a lack of explosions.  When sold as comedy, they get annoyed at the lack of flatulence.  You can’t seriously expect me to believe that you want a movie to fit nicely into the square hole.  You can’t expect a certain film just because of the people involved.  This actually takes me to my next point.  The main criticism I found from some people was that Will Ferrell was playing a different character.  I don’t think they realise the man is an actor, a profession which is known for pretending to be something different.  Would you complain if a butcher sold you sausages?  Ever since he let the world see him in full swing in “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy” he’s been expected to play that exact same character.  When he decides to do something beyond that role the monkeys throw faeces.  Which is a shame as I reckon “Stranger Than Fiction” is his best work yet.  Will, on the off chance you’re reading this, please don’t stay classy, let the world see you at your best.

P.S. If you didn’t like “The Others Guys” for reasons other than those specified, I do apologise.

May Our Paths Cross Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment