Friday, December 3, 2010

It's Venting Time

Today I thought I’d talk to you about tokusatsu.  Don’t ask me how to say it, I just know how it’s spelt.  Anyway, a tokusatsu is like a live action anime.  An example you may know is Power Rangers.  For those of you have decided to keep on reading, as opposed to laughing at the nerd who likes Power Rangers, I’ve recently been watching the latest American tokusatsu.  Like most American ones, Adness Entertainment’s “Kamen Rider Dragon Knight” takes some of its footage from a Japanese series.  There have been two exceptions to this rule; Mystic Knights Of Tir Na Nog and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills.  Trust me, there’s a reason you haven’t heard of that last one.  Anyway back to Dragon Knight, the reason I bring it up is it’s on a level that Power Rangers hasn’t reached (and remained at) for some time.  Let me explain this a little.  When the sixth season of Power Rangers, this time subtitled In Space, came around Saban Entertainment decided a change of pace was in order.  The reduced the reliance on formulaic episodes and added a slightly darker-than-usual ongoing storyline.  When this change proved successful, they decided to keep Power Rangers going with these changes in place.  Unfortunately, it was rather shortlived.  Four years later, Disney discovered there was a successful kids show that weren’t getting money from and rectified that matter.  Yes, Disney was in charge of Power Rangers.  They made seven series, only two of which were truly memorable.  The fate of the Rangers now rests in the hands of Nickelodeon.  The whole point of this rant is my desires to see Adness Entertainment and the makers of Kamen Rider Dragon Knight in charge of those mighty morphers.

No comments:

Post a Comment