Monday, December 6, 2010

Your friendly neighbourhood giant robot

I thought I’d continue along the lines of the tokusatsu.  This time around it’ll be a proper one, in other words, Japanese.  I haven’t seen it myself, but I thought I’d put the word out, so someone can find it and tell me how freaking sweet it is.  The show in question is “Spider-Man”.  Bet you didn’t know there was a Japanese Spidey running around.  In the 70’s, Marvel made a deal with a Japanese production company and said that they could do anything they felt like with Marvel characters.  They started with Spider-Man.  Instead of the nerdy kid who gets bitten by a radioactive spider, he’s a teenage motorcycle daredevil who happens across a crash-landed spaceship (funny, how only teenagers notice these things).  The ship was home to an alien headed for Earth, as it was also the destination of his archnemesis.  The alien gives our hero a snazzy pair of tights (same design) and the keys to the spaceship.  Of course, this is no ordinary extra-terrestrial vehicle, it also transforms into a giant robot.  Always helpful for those times when the bad guy becomes super huge after exploding.  The best part is that this was made about the same time as the American live action Spidey series that had the proper origin but also had him fighting bank robbers, as opposed to super villians.  I don’t think I need to tell you which version the legendary Stan Lee prefers, even though the American hired him as a consultant (somehow I doubt they were taking on his ideas).

No comments:

Post a Comment